Sunday, March 20, 2011

Miral's Utterly Cynical NY Times Full Page Ad


I hadn't planned on posting anything else on Schnabel/Weinstein's tiresome Miral but the full page color ad in today's Sunday Times forced me to. This is my scan of the offending image: a barbed-wire Star of David. And the words: The movie they tried to stop is coming to New York this Friday. Who tried to stop the movie? The Jews? The Zionists? As far as I am aware "they" only wanted to stop its premier at the UN? But why mess with a good line? Why mess with an image that's working so well for the Israel delegitimization campaign? Cynical and, I must say, a page out of the anti-Semite's handbook. Hmm...anything for a buck?

4 comments:

  1. I for one think the movie is brave, daring, and stands up to those who slap the "anti-Semitic" label on anyone who dares criticize Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many reviewers would disagree but that hasn't been my objection, if you've been reading my posts. My problem is the opportunistic use of the UN -- a body that is at the forefront of Israel's delegitimization campaign -- as the venue for premiering the film and then the cynical use of those objections to market the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Israel IS illegitimate. Everyone sane knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous - One man's sanity is another man's pathology.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so kindly keep it clean and respectful. All racisms -- including anti-Muslim hate speech -- will be denied a place here, as well as terms like Nazi used to designate anyone other than an actual living or past member of a Nazi or neo-Nazi organization.