Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Phil Ochs, Jewish Troubadour

My high-school heart-throb, Phil Ochs, is now the subject of a new documentary, There But For Fortune. Turns out he was Jewish. Who knew? Not that it figured at all in his work.

I loved his music and now realize how lucky I was that my Israeli parents didn't understand the lyrics of his songs or I might not have been able to play them -- his records, my guitar -- as loudly and often as I did. Oh, those were the days when my politics were straight forward and not at all complicated.

2 comments:

  1. We must be the same age. I remember Phil Ochs and Tom Paxton as well from my High School days.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so kindly keep it clean and respectful. All racisms -- including anti-Muslim hate speech -- will be denied a place here, as well as terms like Nazi used to designate anyone other than an actual living or past member of a Nazi or neo-Nazi organization.